June 6


‘A mince pie could kill your dog’


Cat Behavior

Image copyright PDSA Image caption Bailey the dog, who are ill after feeing chocolate, was treated by vets at the PDSA

The Christmas adornments are up, the fridge is stocked and we are nearly ready to relax and overindulge on this most wonderful time of year.

But those festive treats and knick-knacks can be harmful to our pets – with one veterinarian saying she treats three times the number of animals in December than any other month.

BBC News spoke to the vets who treat our beloved, if somewhat gluttonous, pets when things go wrong.

Image copyright Scarsdale Vets Image caption Mickey spend days in hospital after feeing a mince tart

Mickey the Belgian shepherd had to spend three nights at a veterinary hospital earlier this month after munching on a mince tart he took from a plate on the sofa.

The 15 -month-old was then given an injection to construction him sick.

Debs Smith, from Scarsdale Vets’s Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby, said Mickey was then fed snacks with charcoal which “binds with any toxins left in the stomach” to prevent them absorbing into the body.

He was also put on intravenous liquids( IV) for 48 hours to keep him hydrated.

“Mickey was given IV liquids as raisins, sultanas and currants can cause kidney failure, ” she said.

The vet said if a dog had feed even the smallest amount of raisins or currants, they would advise treatment.

Mrs Smith said this was typically how they treated pets who had ingested foods toxic to them.

“Unfortunately if they are not treated early it can be fatal, ” she said. “The earlier these things are treated the more successful.”

Grapes, raisins and sultanas are known to be toxic to dogs, and the PDSA said although it was not proven they were equally dangerous to other pets such as cats, it was probably still best it they avoided them.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionWhat your dog can’t eat this Christmas

Mickey’s owner Pauline Warren said: “Luckily I realised he had eaten the mince pie only got a couple of minutes after and rang the veterinarian straight away.

“I was so worried and want to be him home, but I knew he needed treatment. I don’t have any mince pies in the house now.”

Another pet the practice saw this month was Jack the cockapoo, who had eaten a raisin cupcake he had snuck from the kitchen bench when his proprietor was not looking.

Lisa Ridley, from Twyford in Derbyshire, said: “We got him in within 40 minutes of him eating it. He had swallowed about nine raisins.

“I felt genuinely guilty because I knew the dangers of the raisins.

“He is a very lively dog and barked most of the time[ he was in hospital ]. My other puppy did not like him being away – she cried for most of the 48 hours he was gone.”

Image copyright Scarsdale Vets Image caption Jack the cockapoo had to stay on a drip for 48 hours after eating raisins

Pride Veterinary Centre ensures about three times the number of cases in December compared with other months.

Mrs Smith advised pet owners to make sure anything harmful to animals was not left lying around.

The festive items toxic to pets

Image copyright PDSA

Chocolate Anything containing raisins, sultanas and currants, such as mince pies and Christmas cake Alcohol Turkey, chicken or goose bones Anti-freeze Holly, mistletoe, poinsettia and ivy Decorations and fairy suns Christmas trees can be a tempting climbing frame for cats. The PDSA advises keeping them out of the room with the tree when you are not there to supervise Source: PDSA and Pride Veterinary Centre Image caption The PDSA said it once treated a cat who had swallowed a Christmas tree-shaped decoration

About the author

You might also like

Leave a Repl​​​​​y
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Direct Your Visitors to a Clear Action at the Bottom of the Page